Friday, June 13, 2014

Friday the 13th and Other Silly Superstitions

Everyone knows that today is Friday the 13th. Everyone knows what that means. It means bad things will happen today. Don’t get out of bed, don’t even peek over the covers because you know that bad luck will surely find you. Well that’s if you’re superstitious.

DSC_0386

Or if you’re this poor guy… I saw this minibus earlier today up town and by the time we got home (after stopping one place) it was three blocks from my home engulfed in flames. This guys Friday the 13th evidently was pretty shytty. I don’t think there were any injuries due to this fire. Thank goodness.

That brings me to the reason for this post. I’m going to share a few of the superstitions that have been passed down from generation to generation in my family.

black-cat-with-black-eyes

The main superstition that everyone knows is “Don’t let a black cat cross your path”. Personally, it freaks me out when one crosses my path lol. They say to counteract the curse, you must turn in a circle three times. And I do that LOL Even in my car. I’ve gone around the block three times before continuing on my way.

haloaroundthemoon

“If you see a halo around the moon, it means a storm is coming”. And it is true. Usually you see a halo around the moon in the colder months right before a snow storm. But I have seen them in the summer time, and they’re usually always accurate. The bigger the halo, the worse the storm.

article-2230328-01F443EF0000044D-622_634x799

“Don’t walk under a ladder, you’re sure to bring yourself bad luck”. I myself go out of my way to avoid walking under a ladder.

Broken_mirror_chaos_deities_death

“Break a mirror and it’s seven years bad luck”. And it’s happened with me lol.

Hedgeapple_closeup_2.1094931

Another bit of weather superstition… The bigger the hedge apples, the harder the winter. I’ve also noted this to be true.

keep-your-nose-out-of-my-business

“When your nose itches, someone’s coming without their britches.” or someone is just coming to see you.

ears-clip-art-8-150x150

“When your ears burn, someone is talking about you.”

ailmentSweatyPalms

When your left palm itches, it means you’re going to get a letter. When your right palm itches, it means you’re going to get money. If both itch, it means you’re going to get money in a letter. I’ve had this happen to me numerous times. Its always kind of fun!

img20050101_01_Orion

When the constellation Orion lays down, it means the weather is changing.

BigDipper

When the Big Dipper is tipping up, it means it will rain soon.

a-salt-shaker-which-has-fallen-over

If you spill salt, throw some of it over your left shoulder to ward off bad luck.

squirrel-ears_304913

When a Hedge Apples leaves are as big as a squirrels ear, the fear of frost is gone.

1854188_orig

When a broom falls over (on its own), company is coming.

fish-crow-01_13589_600x450

Crows have been said by Native Americans to be the souls of the dearly departed coming back to Earth to watch over their loved ones.

fairy_1482068c

If the mushrooms in your yard form a circle, the fairies will come out and play at night and cause mischief in your garden.

BayingAtMoon

When a dog beys or cries, it means someone has died.

Lavender-1

Always plant lavender for luck.

hand-crafted-rocking-chair

If a rocking chair rocks on its own, someone will pass away.

11246

An outdoor bird flying around in your house is surely a sign someone is going to die. Why is it that so many superstitions center around people dying?!

woolly-bear_BobCongdon

The size of the orange stripe on a Wolly Bear Caterpillar’s back shows how long and hard the winter will be.

squirrel-snow-on-tail

The bushier and thicker a squirrels tail is in the spring and summer shows how harsh the winter will be.

OK so a lot of my superstitions are weather based. Those are the ones that my grandpa always told me. He also told me, always plant your potatoes around St. Patty’s Day in the dark of the moon. So far so good, my potatoes are looking fabulous.

What kind of superstitions were you raised with? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Not superstitious, really. Actually, this Friday the 13th held plenty of luck for me. Got paid, only nearly got creamed this morning on the freeway, found the toaster oven had been left on when I got home - since noon, no less - but it didn't catch fire, am officially on vacation - lots of luck for what's supposed to be an unlucky day.

    There is one that comes to mind, though. "Find a penny, pick it up. All day long you'll have good luck." Haven't seen this one work for me yet.

    ReplyDelete