Monday, December 1, 2014

Tutorial Monday: Key Garland

Hello there, my wonderful Witchie-Poos! Here comes the first of hopefully many Christmas tutorials.

I have a thing for old things… Shabby chic is a style I’d love to embrace but goodness, it’s expensive! So I came up with this cute, relatively inexpensive Christmas décor idea.

DSC_0001

Supplies you’ll need: A pair of scissors (duh!), old skeleton keys, or a mix, (I found two packages of old-ish looking keys at Hobby Lobby 50% off) and jute twine. If you’re wondering why some of the older keys look a little white… I was going to frost them, but changed my mind.

You’ll want to pull out a length of twine as long as you want it. I think mine was about 6 feet long originally, but I ended up cutting off quite a bit.

DSC_0002

Step One: Cut a smaller length of twine, fold it in half and then push the fold through the opening of they key.

DSC_0003

Take the loose ends and bring them through and tie a kind of a slip knot.

DSC_0004

Continue with the rest of your keys until you have as many as you want done.

Day 1: Just remember that in every pothole there is hope.

DSC_0007

Step Two: Tie each key to the length of jute twine.

DSC_0008

Continue on down the line until you’ve used all your keys and have the length you want. Drape your key garland onto your tree and enjoy!!!

DSC_0023

DSC_0024

DSC_0027

I think it looks fabulous on my little shabby tree!!!

If you end up making this, make sure you let me know!!! I’d love to see your creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment