Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Polish Review: Poisoned Lacquer

Hello my Witchie-Poos! I come to you this wonderful Wednesday morning, bright and early! Which is a big change from fourteen years ago today, when I was busy trying to hatch my oldest minion lol!

Today I bring you a gorgeous polish from Poisoned Lacquer, but first… A little meet and greet with the owner!

GW: What are your favorite sources for inspiration?
PL: I pull my inspirations from all over. The hues of the sunset, the way a tree's leaves flutter in the slanting afternoon light, or attempts to catch the shades of color swirling in my loved ones' eyes.


GW: Where does your creativity stem from to allow you to come up with an array of colors and possibilities?
PL: I come from an art background, and I've done some form of art my entire life. I was a theatre costume designer for many years, and really fell in love with the words and works of William Shakespeare, which inspires and shapes my brand at its core.


GW: What do you love about making polish?
PL: I love creating vivid and complex shades that express a feeling or make you smile. Nail polish is such a little thing, but it can brighten your whole day.


GW: If someone copies one of your polishes, is that flattering or insulting?
PL: Flattering for sure! You learn very quickly in the art world that everything has already "been done." Embrace it, because we're all trying to express ourselves and we're all working from the same pool of resources.


GW: What made you start making polish?
PL: I started making polish four years ago, when I saw a need for long-wearing, chip-resistant shades that were non-toxic. I wanted to make a product that anyone could use without wondering what they were putting onto themselves. It's safe for everyone, including expectant moms and children. My top priorities are safety, producing high quality products, and education.


GW: What are some of the new polish trends going around that you like and what are some that you cannot stand?
PL:
I'm utterly obsessed with anything glittery, jellies, holos, and stiletto nail shape. I'm not a fan of Jamberry (can't get them to stick, no matter what I do) or gel polish (it does horrifyingly terrible things to your nail plate.)


GW: Do you have anything awesome in the works for your customers?
PL:
Oh, always! Right now I'm collaborating with a local fashion designer (The Minerva Collection) to do a line of polishes to go her Fall/Winter line, which is inspired by Star Wars and the Sith. Think jellies, holos, and glitter bombs. Look for those at the end of this month.
I've also been working on a second line of work friendly neutral polishes, as well as bath and body products, under the name Pure Poetry Cosmetics. We'll be launching our Autumn scents in another week or two (and one of those is a dead-on Pumpkin Spice Latte!)


GW: Lastly, what type of base coat do you use or suggest? As well as top coat?
PL: I'm very fond of Zoya's Anchor base coat, and I've been loving our top coat, "Seven-fold Shield." (Out later this month!) It's super shiny, and that shine lasts for days! (And don't forget to prep your nails by removing any oils. Swipe 'em down with a little bit of nail polish remover or acetone.)
I prefer to use 5-free formulations, but if someone has something that they like and works for them, they should use it. Body chemistry is a funny thing, so finding your Holy Grail of base and top coat really makes a difference.

 

DSC_0887

And here is Full Fathom Five, listed as a “true blue glitter”, this topper is chock full of blue microglitter, giving every blue loving girl the flutters as they watch it sparkle!

DSC_08872

I mean GAH!!!! Its sooooo pretty!!!

DSC_0954

It does work well on its own, shown on three fingers with three coats. My ring finger has been mattified. But it looks even better on black. I swirled it around a bit on my middle finger to make a swirly marbled look. I absolutely LOVE how it looks on black.

Full Fathom Five goes on as smooth as silk. Dries quick as all get out. It honestly really doesn’t need a topper, but would shine even brighter with one. I love a good smooth glitter topper these days!

At $10, Full Fathom Five is in the Mid-Price range of my indie list. It’s well worth the money! Go check out this one and countless others in her Etsy shop!

Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment