Thursday, February 20, 2014

Polish Review: DazzleGlaze

So! It’s been awhile since my last review and I have some EXCITING news!

I got a new camera! WOOT! This sucker is… AMAZING!

I set up a light box!

And I’m re-implementing the Indie designer Q & A!

PLUS I have more awesome, awesome things in store!!!!

Today for the re-christening of my Q & A series, I have some gorgeous little gems from DazzleGlaze!

Get to know the designer, Candace:

The Good Witch: What are your favorite sources for inspiration?

Candace: My favorite sources for inspiration are other forms of art. I enjoy music, fashion, and classical artworks and I love to take the color palettes and impressions I get from things and make them into something new.

The Good Witch: Where does your creativity stem from to allow you to come up with an array of colors and possibilities?

Candace: My creativity stems mostly from my personality! I'm a creative person in a lot of ways, particularly when it comes to music as I've been singing since I was very young. I've always loved people's reactions to my performances and I'm motivated in much the same way to create new colors and textures in my nail polishes. When people love something you put a lot of creative energy into, it feels amazing.

The Good Witch: What do you love about making polish?

Candace: I love having the power to create almost anything I can dream up when it comes to nail polish. Even when it takes me several times to get the formula correct in order to capture what I'm envisioning, I still love the trial and error. Sometimes this even results in a happy surprise where I get something different than what I was imagining, but still looks unique and pretty.

The Good Witch: If someone copies one of your polishes, is that flattering or insulting?

Candace: I never even stop to think that someone might be copying me. I remember seeing one of my favorite indie makers say that she felt like she needed to immediately post her new ideas on Instagram so that she had some record of when she originally thought of it in case she was accused of copying. I don't think it should have to come to that and everyone needs to realize that all of us indie makers will have supplies that overlap, so sometimes polishes might be very similar. It doesn't mean anyone copied someone else; it's very possible that person never even saw the similar polish in the first place due to how big the market is now.

The Good Witch: What made you start making polish?

Candace: I started making polish shortly after I started my crystallized accessories business. I had a love for indie polishes already and I thought I might try my hand at it as something glamorous and pretty to add to my existing shop. I was hooked after one session! I think I made 10 colors that first time, and a few of those even made it into my initial collection.

The Good Witch: What are some of the new polish trends going around that you like and what are some that you cannot stand?

Candace: I love textured polish! I think it looks so unique and cool. I also like thermal polish a lot and am planning to add a few to my line soon. There isn't really anything that comes to mind that I don't like because I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to new polish trends!

The Good Witch: Do you have anything awesome in the works for your customers?

Candace: As I just mentioned, I do have thermals in the works. I'm also planning a new line of more solid/shimmer polish for those who don't dig the glitter heavyweights. It takes me weeks to release new colors, as I'm adamant that they have to pass my 3-day wear test to make sure they don't chip unnecessarily or leave me with staining issues. But my goal is to have 10 more polishes added in the next month or so.

The Good Witch: Lastly, what type of base coat do you use or suggest? As well as top coat?

Candace: I use NailTek's Step One and ORLY Bonder as my base coatings. For top coat, I like Glitter Food by Nail Pattern Boldness to smooth out glitter and for a nice gloss on the top of it all, I use Glossy Glam by Rica.

Now! Onto the review!

DSC_0084

First up, I have Lulu the Cabaret Girl. Lulu is listed as a light pink, leaning toward purple scattered holo jelly polish.

DSC_0086

This was one of my first bottle shots with my camera, so you have to excuse it LOL. I’m still learning the settings and what-not!

DSC_0192

This is Lulu in three coats. It would have been opaque in two, but I always go for three coats with a more sheer polish.

DSC_0197

It really is a stunner, even in low light!

DSC_0198

When you pop a flash on it though, it explodes!

DSC_0080

Next up is Kiss the Mermaid. Listed as a shimmery jelly turquoise base with teal metallic dot glitters, Kiss the Mermaid is definitely multifaceted.

DSC_0081

See! They’re getting better!!! I love the different sizes of glitters and the slightly textured jelly base.

DSC_0207

And the fact that it’s teal doesn’t hurt either.

DSC_0208

To me, it almost looks like sand and sea glass.

DSC_0211

Last, but not least, my favorite out of the three Candace sent me… One Night Only. Listed as a show-stopping polish in a light blue sheer base. It features blue metallic and white holographic glitters aplenty! And man, was she right…

DSC_0213

Isn’t it gorgeous??! This shot alone would sell me on this polish, that’s for sure.

DSC_0217

The index and ring finger have two coats of One Night Only and the middle and pinky are one coat over a Bellatrix blue polish that I love.

DSC_0219

DSC_0220

So. Absolutely. Stunning.

Dry time is minimal, as long as you don’t glop on the polish, but that’s true with any polish.

Smell is almost nil, the offensive smell that most indie polishes have is pretty much non-existent in these polishes, which I REALLY love.

The thirstier glitters, like One Night Only and Kiss the Mermaid work really well with Nail Pattern Boldness’ Glitter Food or Gelous to smooth them out.

You can purchase these and other beauties at her Etsy shop, and make sure you check out her other beautiful items like phone cases, photo frames and tons of other cute items. Her polishes are in the Mid-Priced range at $8 for full size and $4 for mini. Also, go show her some love on her Facebook page!

Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment