Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Tutorial Tuesday: Nail Polish Jewelry

I’ve done nail polish magnets in the past, but have yet to make my own polish jewelry. Thanks to an anonymous jewelry benefactor, I received some awesome findings and I couldn’t wait to get started! Here’s how you can make your own!

SONY DSC

Supplies You’ll Need: Your polishes of choice… I used three of the Pahlish Doctor Who polishes and one from The Lady Varnishes. You’ll also need backing color if you’re using a sheer color and black to cover up the backs.

SONY DSC

As far as findings, you’ll need a variety (or whatever you want) of findings. You can find them at Hobby Lobby, Michaels and even Walmart. I know you can get some online as well. You’ll also need some glue or epoxy.

SONY DSC

One easy way to do this is to use poster putty and toothpicks. Take a small amount of putty and affix it to your toothpick. Gently press the glass bead or blank or whatever you want to call it on top of the putty and kind of draw it up around the blank.

SONY DSC

You wouldn’t think it would stick to it, but it really does and it works wonders!

SONY DSC

Step two: Apply one or two coats of your desired polish to begin with. When you’re done and it’s dried a bit, add another color as your background. For some reason I didn’t take pictures of this step. Because I’m special.

SONY DSC

Here’s the earring blanks. I added two coats of this polish.

SONY DSC

I added a really awesome teal color for the background of this one.

SONY DSC

Step Three: Apply a coat or two of black to make sure that no light leaks into the design to mess it up. Let all your pieces dry for at least 12 hours to make sure they’re completely dry.

SONY DSC

Step Four: Taking a SMALL amount of epoxy, place a bead in the middle of the ring or necklace back and firmly press the blank into it. Repeat as many times as necessary on your other pieces. Let these pieces dry for at least 24 hours to make sure they’re completely dry before wearing.

SONY DSC

This one was made with Pahlish’s Eleven’s Hour is Now Over and The is Striking Twelve’s.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

This ring I made with The Lady Varnishes’ Fantastic! with a background of a nameless Bellatrix teal.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

These earrings I made with Pahlish’s Mad Man with a Box.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

I think they all turned out fabulous! And I have to say a special thank you to the gal that sent these to me to make! She is truly fabulous and she knows who she is!!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment