Monday, August 10, 2015

German Fest Recipe Tutorial: Apple Cake (Apfelkuchen)

As I said on my Facebook page, the last couple of days have been pretty hard for our family. We celebrated my dear sweet mother-in-law’s 67th birthday yesterday, and today we celebrated the four year anniversary of her leaving us. I decided to show my love for her through something she loved so much and loved to share with her kids and everyone around her… Food.

Mutti2

Photo Courtesy of Aleta Sanford

I can’t remember a time (up until the very last) when she wasn’t in the kitchen, whipping up something fabulous. Whether it was one of the many yummy desserts she made or a pot of her famous potato soup, she loved cooking. She even made my wedding cake (and the other three cakes we had)!

Mutti6

She was an amazing woman. She danced in the ballet prior to having kids. She traveled all over Europe and then landed in the US to raise my wonderful sister-in-law and my terrific husband.

mutti1

Photo Courtesy of Aleta Sanford

And she loved her grandbabies. Absolutely adored the ground they walked on. And they loved their BooGoo. Loved everything about her and still do.

Mutti4

Photo Courtesy of Aleta Sanford

Anyways. I’m going to get pigfaced here before I even begin.

One of the first German foods my mother-in-law made me was her Apple Cake (or Apfelkuchen). I am not a big apple fan. I just never really liked apples. I’m a weirdo, ok?

DSC_0087

OK Get all your ingredients together and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease up a spring form pan and put it on a cookie sheet with sides. Trust me, you’ll need that pan.

You’ll also need a couple of key ingredients. One is Dr. Oetker’s Vanilla Sugar, which you can get on Amazon.com and you’ll also need what the recipe calls Lemon Essence. You can get it at Amazon.com also, but I found that a very SMALL amount of lemon extract will do the same.

DSC_0089

Beat your margarine (mutti always used margarine in recipes, never butter) and sugars until combined and fluffy.

DSC_0090

Scrape the sides of the bowl and add your eggs, one at a time and beat on medium speed for 30 seconds after each addition. Also add your lemon essence or extract.

DSC_0094

OM NOM NOM

DSC_0096

Add your flour, alternating with milk.

DSC_0097

Ahhh my good ole mixer and me.

DSC_0099

And beat a little more.

DSC_0106

Pour your batter into the prepared pan and glory in its wonderfulness.

DSC_0103

Get your apples ready. Or peel one and then have your hubs push you outta the way to finish them “The right way”.

DSC_0112

He’s so damned cute. What you can’t see is that his tongue is sticking out lol.

DSC_0115

Fan out the apples in a decorative fashion, or just push them in wherever. Doesn’t really matter. Well it would to my mother-in-law lol.

DSC_0120

Melt some butter and stare at it longingly.

DSC_0123

Then pour it over the batter and apples. EHRMERGERD.

Put it in the oven. And wait. The waiting is horrible. Because soon your house will be filled with apple-y goodness and your mouth will start watering.

DSC_0132

Take the cake out of the oven and pop the ring. Let cool (or serve warm, it doesn’t matter)

DSC_0222

Cut it into wedges and sprinkle with powdered sugar and consume mass quantities.

DSC_0218

DSC_0220

This is seriously the most fabulous cake ever. Serve it with a good cup of German coffee and enjoy.

Please let me know if you try this recipe. It would mean a lot!

Recipe

Apple Cake

Topping

1/2 c butter or margarine

3 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced

Cake

2 sticks butter or margarine

1 c Sugar

1 pinch salt

1 pkg Vanilla Sugar

2-3 drops lemon essence or extract

3 eggs

2 c Flour

2 tsp baking powder

3-4 tsp milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease spring form pan and place on cookie sheet.

Beat softened margarine. Add sugar, vanilla sugar, salt and lemon extract. Add one egg at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each egg.

Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients alternating milk and flour until all is combined.

Spoon into pan, arrange sliced apples on top and pour over melted margarine.

Bake 45 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment