Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Polish Review: Sinister Benediction

Ahhh… How do I start this post out….

tumblr_mrnp55jrst1s81oq1o2_500

Oh yeah, that might do it. Do you remember Large Marge? If you’re a child of the 80’s, you should.

Does Pee Wee’s Big Adventure ring a bell??

tumblr_msj2pgV7gO1s73q9go1_500

Maybe this’ll jog your memory….

tumblr_mrq8ohAsIs1sa8164o1_500

Or maybe this? Yes, I just found Tumblr… This post could get interesting…

tumblr_mqy4x70nYb1rcoly3o1_500

tumblr_mqy4x70nYb1rcoly3o3_500

OK ok ok I’ll stop… For now…

What I’m trying to get at is that in this post I am reviewing Sinister Benediction's seriously awesome, Pee Wee’s Big Adventure themed Spearmint or Fruit.

pee_wees_big_adventure_1985_francis_didnt_steal_it

You know, that nasty gum that Pee Wee gives the insufferable Francis and his father that makes black goo come streaming out of their mouths? tumblr_lo3w39nGFY1qier46o1_500

Yeahhhh that’s it.

SONY DSC

The maker of this gorgeous little gem describes it as: a semi-matte mint crelly polish filled with pale yellow, aqua, pink, and black matte glitters and a tiny bit of shimmer. How I describe it? The most awesomest bits of my childhood crammed into a bottle with a ton of freaking fabulous glitter.

SONY DSC

I mean, how can it not be awesome when all these colors, which you usually don’t see mixed into a polish finally come in a polish?

SONY DSC

I used three coats of Spearmint or Fruit just by itself, which… Might have been a little overkill… I probably should have used some undies and then just a light coat of this beauty, cause it’s REALLY glitter intensive. Like you get a ton of glitter each time you dip in. Not that it isn’t pretty, cause it REALLY is. Its just a lot of glitter lol

SONY DSC

But DAMN. So gorgeous. I am seriously in love with this polish and I may need to go buy the rest of the collection. At $9 a full size bottle, that won’t be unattainable. Along with Spearmint or Fruit, there’s also Chuck’s Bike-O-Rama, Breakfast Machine and Everyone I Know Has a Big But. You can check the others out at her Etsy shop and see customer pictures of them at her Facebook page.

She was also nice enough to fill out my wonderful Q & A!

GoodWitch: What made you start making polish?
Sinister Benediction: When I was first getting into cosmetics, eye shadow came in electric teal and cobalt blue but not nail polish. Bored by the color offerings, I never painted my nails.


Last year I wandered into a forum thread about nail care almost on a whim. I saw photos of polish in every color. I had long since stopped wearing colorful eye shadows, but now I wanted those colors on my nails.
For several years I entertained the idea of making and selling some art/craft thing, but I couldn't decide what. When I learned of indie polish, it appealed instantly.


GoodWitch: What inspires you the most?
SB: Glancing at my big brainstorming list, most of my ideas come from favorite movies and shows.


GoodWitch: If someone copies one of your polishes, is that flattering or insulting?
SB: This hasn't happened (to my knowledge) so I'm not sure. I'm of the opinion that you should always quote your sources though.


GoodWitch: What are some of the new polish trends going around that you like and what are some that you cannot stand?
SB: I really like the sparkly textured polishes, but I don't feel the same about plain textures.


GoodWitch: Do you have anything awesome in the works for your customers?
SB: I have several more Big Adventure polishes I'd like to make. I also have some ideas involving custom glitter shapes. If anyone out there works in glitter manufacturing drop me an email.


GoodWitch: What do you do outside of the polish world?
SB:I used to do web design and development but burned out. Now I'm a stay-at-home wife trying to complete personal projects.


GoodWitch: What type of base coat do you use or suggest? As well as top coat?
SB: I favor NailTek Foundation III. It's helped keep my dry nails from cracking so often.


I haven't found a favorite topcoat. I'd like the speed of Seche without the shrinking. For the Big Adventure polishes I'd suggest a matte topcoat. It looks great with the matte glitter.


GoodWitch: Is there any nail-related ritual you can't skip when you're doing your nails?
SB: I can't skip placing something on the table to protect it because I often drop stuff.


GoodWitch: Do you have any manicure secrets you'd share with us?
SB: I'm still new to polish so it's likely you've read the same tips from bloggers as I have.

tumblr_mrnp55jrst1s81oq1o2_500

SO… Go buy some of this awesomeness to keep for your very own. You won’t find it in the basement of the Alamo, you won’t find it in the desert. You’ll find it at her Etsy shop! Go there and tell her… Large Marge sent ya! (errr… The Good Witch might be a better idea LOL)

 

Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment