Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Recipe Tutorial: The Bomb Banana Bread

So… I really can’t stand bananas. They make me sick when I eat them by themselves. Not fun. Not a good way to start off a tutorial on how to make the Bomb Banana Bread, huh? Well, banana bread period is really the only way I can enjoy bananas. And I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect banana bread recipe for like ever. And I finally found it!

SONY DSC

First off, you’ll need your ingredients. The recipe follows all my wonderful pictures lol. What you can’t see is the egg that’s nestled so cutely in the bowl.

SONY DSC

You gotta make sure that your bananas are ripe. You don’t want them overly ripe, to the point they’ve got a million black spots on em and you can barely handle them without smushing them out of the peel. These were almost there, but they were just right. They made perfect smooshy sounds.

SONY DSC

Speakin’ of smooshin’, if you have a chillin’ there that is eager to help, set them to smashin’ the bananas. They’ll enjoy it more than you think!

SONY DSC

You’ll come up with something that looks a lot like baby food. At this point, you could give it to a toothless one and they’ll go crazy.

SONY DSC

You put your melted butter in next. You don’t have to get it completely melted, I didn’t and it didn’t mess it up at all.

SONY DSC

Then add your sugar, vanilla and egg. I used Watkins vanilla, and like I’ve said before- if you use Watkins vanilla, you need to halve what ever the recipe calls for. If not, it’ll be overpowering.

SONY DSC

Then you add your dry ingredients and mix….

SONY DSC

Add your pecans. You can add walnuts, but to me walnuts just don’t taste good anymore.

SONY DSC

Butter your baking pan. I used margarine on mine and it came out effortlessly. I was impressed.

SONY DSC

Pour the yumminess in the pan and put it in the oven… Now comes the hard part… The waiting!!!

SONY DSC

But the wait is well worth it. Out comes this gorgeous loaf of banana goodness with a nice, beautifuly golden crust on top.

SONY DSC

Let it warm for awhile. It doesn’t have to cool down all the way, but if you cut it too soon after you take it out of the oven it’s just going to fall apart. I waited a good hour and a half before cutting this one and it was still warm.

SONY DSC

Slather with butter or margarine (or in this case I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter) and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

This was seriously the easiest recipe I’ve found in a LONG time. I’ve been looking for a decent banana bread recipe for awhile and I am SO glad I found this one. I’m seriously contemplating making loaves and muffins to sell for Christmas!

The Bomb Banana Bread

  • 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for an hour to an hour and 10 minutes. Test it with a skewer or a long knife to make sure the middle is cooked through. The skewer or knife should come out clean when done. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

1 comment:

  1. Love love this recipe and return to it time and time again since finding it yearsss ago! Thanks for posting it and keeping it up!
    Also, sometimes I add about 3/4 cup of chocolate chips if I have em on hand! Yummmm! I just put one in the oven... Its going to be a long hour! Lol!

    ReplyDelete