Sunday, November 24, 2013

Nail Art Tutorial: Acorn Nails

OK…. I’m not a very good artist… I’m not a nail tech… I just like to play with my nails. A couple of you gals asked me for some fall themed nail art ideas, so this is what I came up with.

My sorry excuse for Acorn nails. Please, laugh with me LOL.

SONY DSC

Here’s what you’ll need: A dark brown and a light brown polish. If you don’t have those, you can use acrylic paint, like I did here. You’ll need black as well. Again, I used acrylic paint. You’ll also need water and a detail brush (water if you’re using acrylics) and a pallet. Oh and paper towels. Cause I’m messy and I figure everyone else is too LOL.

SONY DSC

Step one… If you’re using acrylic, mix your dark brown with a bit of white to get a lighter shade like I have on the right.

SONY DSC

Apply that to your nails, don’t worry if it gets kinda streaky or lined. Acorns aren’t perfect either Smile.

SONY DSC

Step Two: Take your lighter brown and white and mix up a color a shade or two lighter than your base color. I had to add a little dark brown into this because the light brown had a pretty orange-y shade to it.

SONY DSC

Step Three: Using that lighter shade, create a half moon on the tips of your nails to create the caps of the acorns. You can make a scalloped cap like I tried to on the left, but it was a hassle so I just went with straight edges.

SONY DSC

Step Four: Using a darker brown, create a shade line on the bottom edge of the cap. Then take your black and make black lines to create the hatch marks on top of the cap. Had I been thinking, I would have used a light white/tan color to do it. I don’t always think. Once you get one set of lines, go back and do the opposite to make your hash marks.

SONY DSC

Step Five: Add topcoat and you’re done!

SONY DSC

Like I said, not the best. But oh well. I gave it the ole college try Winking smile

No comments:

Post a Comment